Stainless steels are generally low in maintenance, although some is required to maximise corrosion resistance and removal of surface contamination. Proper care and maintenance will ensure your ICON or ANDO Stainless steel hardware achieves maximum corrosion resistance and maintains its lustre and appearance indefinitely.
One of the advantages of stainless steel hardware is that any "tea staining" or discolouration can be easily removed and generally the product will return to its 'new' state with appropriate cleaning
- Most discolouration can be removed with a mildly abrasive cleaner (Ajax, Jiff, Brasso etc.)
- Heavier corrosion can be removed using a Scotch-Brite pad or stainless steel scourer
- Do not use steel wool - this may leave residues of steel which will rust causing surface discolouration
- After cleaning, the product should be rinsed free of all cleaning product residue with clean water
Stainless steel may develop discolouration brought about by environmental and installation conditions. Environments with exposure to the following substances should be avoided:
- Chlorine based (bleach) products and cleaners
- Hydrochloric acid (commonly used for tile and concrete cleaning)
- Cement dust
- Soap concentrates
- Water with high iron content (generally bore water)
NOTE: Stainless steel is a living metal, so light surface discolouration is likely to occur in the first few weeks after installation as the metal stabilises with the environment. Do not be alarmed, this is quite normal but does require cleaning immediately to prevent permanent damage.